17 May 2006

I hate drama!

I love drama, only when it is fit for the script.

But last night in our Pinikpikan gig at the Clamshit, I mean, Clamshell in Intramuros, the drama artistas in charge were certainly Over Acting on a badly written script. Super OA, chingga*.

We were invited to perform at this dinner and welcoming night for the UNESCO International Theatre Institute World Congress.

At first, the music and the vibes were good. The groove was Maayo Man, which translates to English as “ Life is Good”. The audience, delegates from the world’s five continents, loved it.

After the 'life is good' feel, a certain OA Nick came in with his microphone, where he got it do not know, and asked the people “...Do we want them to continue? Shall we go on?? Blah.. blah”. He was explaining that they still have things to attend to, running out of time, etc. Embrassing, the way he said it. But the audience wanted us to continue.

Lacking convincing power on the audience, he approached me, like a matapobreng doña from Rizal’s Noli told me we can only perform for 10 minutes more. I said okay. I was actually referring him to our contact for the gig, the stage managers, telling them that he should inform them, instead of going to me onstage in front of an audience and instructing me like an Indio just like the great old conquistadores and makapili days.

We obeyed, I informed Sammy (music director) about Nick's instructions and we did another song, Diwata (fairy), a five-minuter.

We were then consuming less than 5 minutes and 30 seconds of that 10-minute thing he set for us…Sammy and I were introducing the next song, Kalipay, which means happiness. Happines turned to madness when Nick interrupted us again. I was in the middle of explaining what the word Kalipay means and what languages and rhythms it uses when Mr. Artiste shit it off again with his “Excuse me… blah blah… we have to blah blah …” He was actually telling the delegates they have to go. Yes, even if there were no buses outside to fetch them.

Pinikpikan still played a percussion version of Kalipay. We had to play the gongs, or else we would have given Nick what he deserves, a good scold in front of everyone.

The delegates watched on. Many did not leave until the last beat.

The band packed up....

You know, it was like the band did not exist for him, like we were mere entertainment dolls, like an exotic dish that could be served and disposed of anytime . Galing niya, puede siyang ambassador ng Pilipinas, noh? Nagkamali siya, we are not this kind of music for nothing. We did not keep silent for that night.

I went to this guy. I asked him what the problem was. He suddenly flared up and told me he does not need confrontation. I was just asking and there he was yelling… pointing me to the big bosses.

Explaining to his boss (a well-known figure in the elite art world) why we felt bad about Nick’s actions did not do good. She just did not listen and kept on justifying her colleague’s actions. At first she was justifying, later on, she was accusing. She said they are having many problems with the whole congress. Sa isip ko, ah ganun, kaya gumagawa pa kayo ng dagdag na problema sa pambabastos sa kapwa ninyo Filipino at artist?

I leave out other details here.

The night ended with Pinikpikan having a relaxing drink at Penguin. I had four tall shots of tequila, pero di pa rin ako nalasing o naging tipsy! But then, I went home feeling good because we made our stand, and I was laughing about how such people like Nick and his lady boss could be such among the top people in the Philippine arts world.They are just so over- acting their matapobre-alta sosyedad roles. A classic example of tumanda ng paurong.

That Nick messed up with his thingies and took it out on others. Filipinos really looked like crabs in a pot on a stove that night. What can I say? Great welcome party for foreign delegates. Great treatment of local artists. He did not even care to apologize.

Thanks Nick. Great advocacy for the arts.

Great crabby act. Watch out for the boiling point.

---
* A lovely word, Zamboangeñas use this word when they are super pissed off

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nakakainis no. the wrong people have the power in the arts world here. bwisit sila. down with matapobres talaga - the most unworthy kind of human being who don't deserve to be called humans.